Passion verses dedication! and my story!

I hear many people say things like "I love photography, It is my passion!"  I said that once...and I believe that is a good thing, but passions are temporary in many cases.  

In the beginning:


I had a passion for bringing laughter to those around me.
I had a passion to take photographs. 
I had a passion for making sure people had fun and a great experience.
I had passion for helping people capture memories.
I had a passion to create art.
I had a passion to be creative and photography was a perfect outlet.

When my kids were born I received a camera and started taking photos of my kids and capturing their moments I didn't want to forget...I had a great job and never thought I would take pics of other people..just my family.

But my passion to help people was challenged when someone (who has become a friend now) needed a photographer for her wedding and could not afford it and said they might not have one.  I offered (would not recommend doing a wedding for your first job) this young lady a deal...if she could not find an actual photographer I could do it for a donation+cost.  I don't think she looked for anyone else..LOL.  I googled ideas and did my homework for poses.  I was not shy and figured what is the worst that could happen...she wasn't going to hire anyone and if they didn't turn out..oh well..I told them I was not a photographer.....well I guess I don't have to say how it turned out...10 years later I am still here. :) and I give God glory for giving me such a great job, family and being the best secretary ever (that is another story)

I used to scrapbook and make cards which was not a hobby that was making me any money to help with finances in my house.  So when people started seeing what I had done for my first job..they started asking me if I did grads, family, kids...If I felt comfortable with the job I would just say YES!  A few jobs turned in more and more.  Soon my fulltime job was shutting their doors and I had to make a choice..I was doing great with my photography..I could just do that and see where it would lead me.

What would be the next logical step: 
my passion to help, to be creative, to take photos came together and I started Sandy Lockhart Photography and had a blast...but within about 5-6 years I realized my passion was hurting me...and to be honest it was silently hurting me and I didn't even see it...For someone who sees alot around me I could not see what was happening in front of me. 
:(

I spent hours taking photos, editing photos, creating products...I was happy...my clients were loving me...giving me praise and lifting me up. how could that be a bad thing?? Sometimes I didn't have any confidence when I had slow times.. even thought about quitting.  But the excitement I got from making a client smile, laugh, cry (good cry) was so rewarding...I just couldn't my heart just loved this job!! 

So you wonder how my passion was hurting me?  I was so happy to capture moments in time with other families.  Their events, sessions and keeping them happy were my #1 goal.  As Dr.Phil would say "what is your payoff?"  I will be deeply honest here...I got my validation from happy clients.  next he would say "how's it working for you?"  well if you have been reading between the lines..I have not mentioned capturing memories or moments with my kids or family...I have photos of them but not like I wish I did.
I have done over 50 weddings in approx.7 years (I don't really do them anymore)..those happen on weekends..how many weekends did I miss my family events...most summers when my kids were between 6 years to 15 years old I was gone...I regret that!  I do have memories, I have done things I cherish but i missed too much..and as a photographer and many others out there I do hear often..how do I find balance and not stay up till 2am editing so I have time with my kids.

next step:

Get serious or quit!

I had to make a decision..after taking a year of a variety of classes one being business, learning about actual costs of being a photographer (which you would think I knew..but ostrich in the sand moments, kept me blind to the truth).  I moved my business from being a hobby/pretend business to actual business...which meant it was going to cost me..

When you want something bad..you have to invest...and sometimes that is not just your time!

Registered in my city  
Insurance & Liability  
pretty much getting legal!
and this year started seeing a business consultant 
(will give Roger a plug here -  Firebird business consulting)

Learning rules and laws 
Keep taking more classes to learn and relearn things..never stop learning....

and learn some more...

I was told I was going to lose my business if I raised prices...but I was done not valuing my family, done not helping out financially because I was expected to give everything I do away for free...some figured it is just a hobby..it will only take 30 minutes..but no one sees me sitting in my room editing for hours.  Was I concerned?  of course I was...I am human..but I prayed and gave it to God and ....

Guess what happened?  I have gained some of the most amazing clients that value quality over quantity (had someone get few hundred images on a disc but when going through them unfortunately a handful were usuable, they told me they understood good vs bad investment).  I have Clients who respect my desire to help my family.  Those who appreciate what I do, my skills and talent and generally appreciate me.  For that I am grateful!

  My hours changed...Instead of every night being on the computer till 1am I am sitting and watching a show with my family or hubby some nights...If I have a deadline I may still take a few nights here and there but I am more aware of my time. I do my best to work 2 saturdays a month and take 2 off to do something with family or just relax...and Sunday - just a day off!! 

 You might think how is it possible?  (see Roger for assistance for your business..can't give away all my secrets from him...lol)  
But I am grateful for how busy I have been...business is great!  Life is more balanced...my kids are teens but thankfully they still want to make fun memories with me and somehow by the Grace of God I was blessed with an amazing family.

Are you wondering why I named this page  Passion verses Dedication?

Remember, Passion is what makes you pick up the camera, but Dedication is what keeps it in your hands.
(statement found online)

Somewhere along my journey and it was up and down and sometimes sideways....I did lose the passion off and on...it wasn't an easy road...I learned I had to decide what I wanted to do.  Do I keep going or quit and find something else?

I have found my REAL job...it is a career choice that chose me in some ways...it became something that kept growing and sometimes I lost control of it...I feel I am in a good place now and still learning...but my passions have turned to dedication to do the best for my family, to create beautiful memories using my skills and experience for friends and families that allow me into their lives, to trust God will help me through good and bad times.

I love photography. I love my job...but I have to remember it is a job!  And I plan on doing the best I can for my clients and by taking care of me lets me be a better person, a better photographer and hopefully better friend to many.


What is your passion?  Are you ready to become dedicated to make your dreams and passion be a positive in your life?

It is alot of work, hard work...good luck and all the best!!

PS. Normally I would edit a photo of me...but today I am sharing a photo with no photoshop..it is me, brown spots and all ;)  I am 45 years old and so happy to be able to enjoy my life...many know I have had major health issues during my journey of photography..so I know how precious life can be (including my health)...learning to love me!







Comments